"'Rangers' Tankers!"

Go down

"'Rangers' Tankers!"

Post by John Parmenter on Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:11 pm

Interesting article on page 3 of the most recent Bridgehead Sentinel, "'Devil' Brigade fires it first tank rounds since 2005."

1st Battalion, 16th Infantry "Rangers" 1st HBCT, 1st ID, now has tanks & Tankers in its C & D Companies. As far as I know, organic armor in an Infantry Battalion is new in recent U.S. Army organization. Maybe we'll find out if this is an experiment or something we should get used to. (In 1958, Berlin Command's 6th Infantry had a Heavy Tank Company which was replaced [reflagged] as Company F, 40th Armor.)

This leaves one wondering if tank crewmen of C & D Co., 1/16th Inf., will earn CIBs if/when deployed to combat action. Question
John Parmenter

Back to top Go down

Re: "'Rangers' Tankers!"

Post by saint on Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:59 pm

John, as long as they have an 11 C or 11 B which is the Infantry MOS they will earn the C.I.B. That the regulation I know unless they have change it.
saint

Back to top Go down

Post by John Parmenter on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:28 pm

Thank you, Saint! That makes sense. Also, I learned that including Armor in Infantry Battalions isn't all that new -- it has worked well under combat conditions in Iraq. I'll let you know if I come upon more information on this subject. Thanks, again! Idea
John Parmenter

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I remember we sometimes had tanks attached to our company in VN. Usually with a rome plow on the front.

B Battery, 1st Battalion, 7th Field Artillery
FO with B Company, 2nd Battalion, 18th Infanfry
Vietnam, 1966-1967
Admin
Admin

http://1stidforum.forum-motion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saint on Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:29 pm

John, the army have a new system like the stryker bde in which the commanders have access to the navy, air force and other elements of support in the combat zone--good example the 3rd Bde that is stationed at Ft Knox, KY.

I had the honor to march with the 2nd Bn 2nd Inf during the reflagging ceremony of the Bde.
saint

Back to top Go down

Post by John Parmenter on Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:59 am

The Army's only constant is change. Some Infantry Battalions now have organic tanks & some Armor units (once known as "Medium Tank Battalions") now have organic mortars. Different conflicts call for different TO&E.

A friend who served in an Infantry Regiment's Heavy Tank Company told me when they reorganized (reflagged) into an Armor Company, they ceremonially burned their Infantry blue cords, scarves, etc., wearing their new Armor yellow scarves.
John Parmenter

Back to top Go down

Post by saint on Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:20 pm

John, the Armor Museum moved to Ft Benning, GA last month. If you go to Ft Benning you need to see the Infantry Museum--on the 3rd floor the pavillion is dedicated to the 2nd Inf Reg. A gentleman that was in WWII with the 2nd inf reg which was part of the 5th inf div then, donated 2.5 million dollars to the museum. That is a great place to visit. Another thing is if you go to the Walk of Honor section 8 B, look to the left of the marker and you will see my name on a block.

120th Assault Hel Co
Gunships and Comd Aircraft Co.
saint

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down